NBA ALL-STAR GAME COACHES
- 62 coaches have participated in the All-Star Game, including the two 2019 edition coaches.
- Michael Malone (Denver Nuggets) became a first-time All-Star coach (Western Conference) in the 2019 game for Team Lebron. The West won the game giving Malone a 1-0 All-Star record. Team Giannis was coached by Mike Budenholzer (Milwaukie Bucks). The loss put his All-Star record at 0-2. It was the first time since the 2008 game that both All-Star coaches did not have a playoff run the year before.
- The coaches for both teams were determined by the best record through games played on Feb. 3: two weeks before the game was played. Each All-Star Game coach led the team that included the captain from the same conference.
- Mike D’Antoni (Houston) and Dwane Casey (Raptors) coached the 2018 NBA All-Star Game, so they were ineligible for the honor in 2019
- Red Auerbach coached in 11 editions with 7 wins. Pat Riley lost in the NBA All-Star Game 6 times out of 9 games. George Karl lost 4 out of 4 NBA All-Star Games as coach of the Western Conference Team.
- Billy Cunningham (76ers) went 4-0 in his All-Star coaching career and is the winningest coach to-date for the Sixers.
7 Coaches have at least coached one Eastern and Western NBA All-Star Team:
|Flip Saunders||Phil Jackson|
|Alex Hannum||Pat Riley|
|Byron Scott||Lenny Wilkens|
9 coaches were named for the All-Star Game in their first season as an NBA coach. What a great honor for the ‘Rookie’ coaches:
|Chris Ford||1991||Charles Eckman||1955|
|Paul Westphal||1993||George Senesky||1956|
|Larry Bird||1998||Ed Macauley||1959|
|Steve Kerr||2015||Billy Cunningham||1978|
17 players later coached and NBA All-Star Game Team:
|Tom Heinsohn||Gene Shue|
|Richie Guerin||Bill Sharman||Lenny Wilkens|
|Billy Cunningham||Paul Seymour||Paul Westphal|
|Larry Costello||Fred Schaus||Bobby Wanzer|
|Doug Collins||Glenn Doc Rivers||Rudy Tomjanovich|
|Larry Bird||Ed Macauley||Isiah Thomas|