- After 12 years with the Rookies vs Sophomores formula, the NBA decided to make a fresh start for the Rookies Challenge. The most important change was how the teams are put together.
- Shaquille O’Neal and Charles Barkley, TNT TV star analysts, were in charge to pick 10 players in a special draft to make their respective teams: Team SHAQ and Team CHUCK.
- Shaq had the first pick after winning a coin toss, and he took Blake Griffin with the first pick. Jeremy Lin and Norris Cole were late additions just a few minutes before the draft started.
- In the first half of the game, TEAM CHUCK got quickly a 10-point advantage, with great performances of Evan Turner and DeMarcus Cousins. Later, Kyrie Irving went on fire (4-4 3 pointers, 18 points). Tristan Thompson was the only TEAM SHAQ player to score 10 points before halftime.
- In the second half, Irving continued scoring with 3 more 3-pointers giving CHUCK TEAM a 20 points lead, he finished with 34 points and 8-8 threes. At the end of the game John Wall made his little slam dunk exhibition. Jeremy Lin (tired) and Blake Griffin (has to play Sunday game) played only 9 and 10 minutes respectively.
- Coaches: Ron Adams and Steve Kerr (Team SHAQ), Maurice Cheeks and Mike Fratello (Team CHUCK)
- MVP: Kyrie Irving (Team CHUCK)
[alc_player_stats player_id=”2905″ add_link=”1″ style_type=”style_2″ title=”MVP”]